We are seeking a dynamic, curious, collaborative individual interested in exploring a career in education to join the Mastery School of Hawken for the 2023-24 school year as a Teaching Apprentice. At the heart of our model is the idea that you learn while doing – so you’ll get coaching and support as you learn how to teach in a very different way at our ungraded, project and problem-based high school.
Wildly enthusiastic about mentoring and coaching adolescents
Experienced in creative problem-solving and building things with others in the real world
Skilled communicator and listener who enjoys working in a highly collaborative environment
Intellectually curious, self-directed and motivated learner with a wide range of interests and skills, academic and otherwise
Committed to active, ongoing development of intercultural competence
- Philosophically aligned with the mission of the Mastery School of Hawken
- Able to operate in ambiguity and roll up your sleeves and jump in to do what the team needs
Significant depth in one or more of the following areas:
Computational Thinking and Coding
Life Sciences, such as Neuroscience, Environmental Science, or Public Health
Math and Data Analytics
Visual and/or Performing Arts
Hawken School is a preschool-12 co-ed independent day school with four campuses in Cleveland Ohio and founder of the Mastery Transcript Consortium
, a national organization aimed at reinventing how students prepare for college, careers, and life. In August 2020, we launched the Mastery School of Hawken, a new project and problem-based ungraded high school in the University Circle neighborhood of Cleveland. We will graduate our first class of seniors in June of 2023.
We’ve designed the The Mastery School of Hawken around three core principles:
Learning experiences are organized around real-world problem-solving, where students learn while working on challenges with community partners.
We use new methods of teaching designed around individual growth, allowing for more project-based and personalized learning.
Our mastery assessment model emphasizes feedback for growth and credits enduring, deep, and transferable learning using mastery credits.
Committed to strengthening our relationship to our city, we are building this school for greater socioeconomic access by offering a significant number of seats to full-need students from the city of Cleveland. Read more about us here: http://masteryschool.hawken.edu
You’ll join our dynamic team of educators as we enter Year 4 of the school. As a teaching apprentice, supports for you include:
Opportunity to learn our teaching model by apprenticing with a more experienced teacher
Regular, ongoing small group and 1:1 onboarding and mentoring throughout the year
Opportunity to apply to renew the fellowship for a second year depending on needs of the school
As you onboard and learn our methods and approaches, you’ll take increasing responsibility under the guidance of our faculty. You’ll also bring your unique set of strengths to all aspects of school life, in the classroom, in our Wayfinding program, and in co-curriculars.
Within one month, you’ll:
- Learn how our model of teaching & learning works by participating in on demand training through the Korda Institute for Teaching (http://kordainstitute.org)
- Participate in an all-school onboarding experience designed to connect you to colleagues across Hawken and our city
- Engage in a Mastery-School specific onboarding experience where you meet your mentors and set intentions for this year
- Teach us about your areas of expertise and demonstrate how you can contribute to the experience for students in 2023-2024
Within three months, you’ll:
- Practice leading class activities and 1:1 conversations with students
- Take leadership of one or more co-curricular offerings for students
- Engage and reflect with colleagues and mentors on an ongoing basis about your learning, growth, and development
- Gain hands-on training to support your work in counseling and advising students
Within six months, you’ll:
- Build initial connections with key community partners
- Co-plan & implement a pilot using the Korda Institute’s teaching methodology
- Develop and refine a growth plan with support and feedback from mentors
This position will require training in summer 2023 with a full time start in August 2023.
Hawken School is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to promoting all forms of diversity in the workplace and in our student body. We strongly urge all qualified individuals to apply.